IEEE eXpress PDF compatibility




Tuesday, December 30, 2014
I had difficult time to make my pdf file compatibe with IEEE eXpress standard. For papers to be published in IEEEXplore, almost all of the conference needs you to make your paper compatible with IEEE eXpress standard. 
  1. When I first uploaded my file in IEEE eXpress sites it had the following errors: 
  2. Bookmarks found in document 
  3. Font Times-Roman is not embedded (1105x) 
  4. Font Times-BoldItalic is not embedded (9x) 
  5. Font Times-Bold is not embedded (38x) 
  6. Font Times-Italic is not embedded (74x) 

This is what I have done to remove above errors under the following system configurations:
Windows Vista (It should work under any windows versions)
Texify, MikeTex 2.7
dvips 5.96
gswin32c 8.15

First I converted my tex file to dvi file using the texify command.
texify mypaper.tex

Then convert the dvi to ps:
dvips -t letter -Ppdf -D 600 -G0 mypaper.dvi 

I first converted mypaper.ps to mypaper.pdf using gswin32c. When I uploaded this file to IEEE eXpress, the first error has been gone. But the others were still in the place. Then I tried to embed all the fonts to my PDF file using the following command:

gswin32c.exe -dSAFER -dNOPLATFONTS -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dMaxSubsetPct=100 -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -sOutputFile=mypaper2.pdf -f mypaper.pdf


Note that you may have to add the directory containing gswin32c to your system path. Mine was:
c:\Program Files\GPLGS\

The final file, mypaper2.pdf is compatible with IEEE standard. Note that instead of first converting the ps to PDF and then embedding all the fonts, I could have done both steps in only one step as follows:

gswin32c.exe -dSAFER -dNOPLATFONTS -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dMaxSubsetPct=100 -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -sOutputFile=mypaper.pdf -f mypaper.ps
 

Favorite Quotes

"I have never thought of writing for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must out; that is the reason why I compose." --Beethoven

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." --George Box

Copyright © 2015 • Hamed's Ensemble Blogging